8 Pillars of TPM
What is 8 Pillars of TPM (Total Productive Maintenance)?
TPM 8 Pillars:
- Autonomous Maintenance
- Focused Improvement
- Planned Maintenance
- Quality Maintenance
- Early Management / Development Management
- Training and Education
- Safety, Health and Environment
- Office TPM
The purposes, expectations and requirements associated with documenting the individual elements of advanced product quality planning (APQP) status report. Here on qualitybook.org, I tried to describe each APQP element in easy language as well easier for understand and implement at real workplace. Let's see each element in deep:
The purpose of the first pillar of total productive maintenance is to provide training for each operator to minimize gap between maintenance personnel & operators, so that they can work as team. In this pillar, development of operators for handle initial maintenance requirements and tasks which are regular required for maintain smooth operations. Hence the maintenance peoples can divert and send time on more value added activities and technical maintenance. In this concept focus on, each equipment operator is responsible, for maintain and prevention of its equipment. Autonomous Maintenance program's target are:
- Prevention of equipment deterioration by regular checking, verification and correct operations.
- Proper management, and bring equipment return to its ideal condition by restoration, replacement and maintain.
- Establish the basic condition required to keep equipment well maintained.
How to implement Autonomous Maintenance?
- ✧ Educate employee: Every employee related to manufacturing processes, mainly equipment operators must educate about total productive maintenance. Generally, regular maintenance activities required to maintain machinery such as frequency of oiling, how to use safely etc.
- ✧ Initial Cleaning: Implementation of 5S system always recommended along with total productive maintenance system, without cleaning there is no environment will be not comfortable for further implement. Every equipment must be dust, oil leakage, loose wiring, unfastened nuts and bolts, loose parts, as well all related materials should be in order organized.
- ✧ Counter Measure: Measures for locations where difficult to access area, and countermeasure source of problem is initial requirements this phase. Due to implementation of countermeasure phase, it will be easier for reach at inaccessible places.
- ✧ General Inspection: It is extremely important if you are working with total productive maintenance, to improve the technical skills of employee and use standards and manuals for inspection processes. Trained employee will teach others to use inspection manuals correctly in disciplines for routine machinery and equipment inspection processes.
- ✧ Autonomous Inspection: Participation in autonomous inspection process, each employee establishes own autonomous schedule and chart as per condition and tasks assigned. In this process employee use its experience for conducting its regular inspection process for identify parts which have never given any trouble or don't required any inspection those should be removed from inspection form. Frequency, cleanup, inspection and preventive actions must be maintained or balanced as per experience by self-decisions for its own equipment.
- ✧ Standardization: You have to organize your equipment and necessary items on previous experience, as that will easier to maintain and reduce time of operations. Prepare work environment well organized such that there is no difficulty to getting any item and remember that, everyone follows the standard operating system strictly.
- ✧ Autonomous Management: overall equipment effectiveness and other total productive maintenance goals must be achieved by continuous improvement through specific processes.
What are the benefits of the Pillar?To reducing performance losses, increasing equipment availability time, equipment reliability and individual performance as well as overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) is possible to improve through deployment of autonomous maintenance system in organization. in addition, improvement to employee engagement, capability confidence, equipment ownership and independency levels.
Focused improvement is the initial pillar of total productive maintenance system, it is focus on improvement on the whole system, through identify and eliminate losses by team approach. Organizational complex issues can possible through implementation of focused improvement step, generally this pillar follows a structured system support of PDCA cycle to identify and eliminate issues b systematic way. In this pillar you have to establish an analysis of the different type of losses affecting the existing system and manufacturing activities, and strategic management to determine criteria for targeting issues and losses. For making every employee to be self-sufficient in solving an appropriate issue, as well develop the capabilities of the team, and the pillar ensures that the manpower has the skills and motivation to identify and reduce issues from their processes.
Benefits of Focused Improvement
- Improving efficiency by reducing defects in product, processes and system
- Improving safety performance by reducing risk factors in processes by analyze risk levels and appropriate actions
- The focused improvement pillar ensures that the approach taken in consistent and repeatable to assure sustainability
Objective of this pillar is to establishment of the predictive maintenance system for equipment and related tooling materials, as well as try it should have achieved the natural life cycle of each equipment elements. To achieve goals such as zero break downs, prevention of equipment and predictive system are possible through planned maintenance which is third pillar of total productive maintenance. The objectives of the planned maintenance are:
- Reduction of MTTR (Minimize Mean time to repair): MTTR is measurement of repair time scale between two repairs processes down for any particular equipment, this time can possible to reduce by take some actions such as diagnose issue quick and accurately, take the corrective actions quickly, optimize machine to minimize setup and adjustment time, optimize spare parts well organized.
- Increase of MTBF (Maximize Mean Time between Failure): You can increase time by measure MTBF of each equipment's sequence failure such as machine breakdown, tool breakdown and performance degradation or part failure.
- To do less than 1% of total maintenance hours devoted to reactive maintenance
The purpose of this pillar planned maintenance is to producing zero defect products without any trouble by machine and equipment during manufacturing processes, and that can be possible though focused on preventive maintenance, breakdown maintenance, corrective and maintenance prevention system.
Benefits of Planned maintenanceThe benefit from the implementation of planned maintenance is the reduction of the equipment breakdowns, and with minimum product defects, as well as seamless manufacturing processes. The system also helps to reduced cost and improve machine efficiency, further it will also allow manage safety and quality improvement. In short:
- Optimum Maintenance Cost.
- Improve Reliability and maintainability of equipment.
- Reduces parts inventory & effective maintenance.
- Equipment Sustain availability.
The planned maintenance structural system, where all the activities should pre-scheduled for maintenance, operational and controlled.
Quality management is defined as a procedure for control the condition of machinery and equipment elements that directly or indirectly negative impacts in quality of products during manufacturing processes. To achieve purpose of zero defects by help and maintain equipment condition needs to setup error proofing system in manufacturing facility to prevent mistakes from happening in initial stage & root cause analysis to identify real cause, to fix it immediately and permanently.
Quality Maintenance Procedure
- ⧩ Initially, you have to define standard system for the quality maintenance, and have to maintain quality parameters and quality standards with fully controlled environment.
- ⧩ On base of quality maintenance requirements and against the standards you can easily identify quality defects, localize all quality defects from existing processes.
- ⧩ To implementation of quality maintenance, identify and select key equipment & related defects for implement processes of this step, the process helps to make standardize the system, if all the activities are successfully evaluated.
- ⧩ Check & evaluate pilot equipment's operating system, related processes and materials used in processes, you have to evaluate function, operation and method verification for implementation and establish proper setup and operating management for each equipment which can be produce zero defect product, and that will be achieves through continuous improvement and monitoring on each activity.
- ⧩ It is very important that each equipment must be examined, to prepare it for manage for maximum production can be achieved by restoration.
- ⧩ In the total productive maintenance system, preventive maintenance is necessary and important stage for continuous improvement at any level. Hence preventive maintenance analysis must be conducted on this procedure stage.
- ⧩ Identify all the root cause of the problem, and eliminate factors that creating defects in manufacturing processes.
- ⧩ To setup change, you have to optimize operating conditions and methods.
- ⧩ Detection of each defects in product and processes, and regular tasks must be recorded.
- ⧩ Every identified defects must be restored or improved as appropriate requirements.
- ⧩ Establish standard values for inspection of components.
- ⧩ You have to define the parameter or criteria to determine and validate for confirmed products / non-defective product in production lines.
- ⧩ You have to define standard values for inspection points, and try to minimize the number of inspection stages or step to focus on particular inspection points.
- ⧩ Establish graphical presentation for inspection, and identified points for inspection for analysis and evaluation of standards.
To prevent quality defects, you have to setup quality conditions that preclude, and define the systematic and methodical activities to eliminate non-conformances in manufacturing processes. In short, the quality maintenance system reduces the cost of quality, and minimize wastage which results from weak production processes. overall, defect free condition and control of equipment, quality management activity to control quality assurance, prevention of quality defects etc. are major benefit of this pillar.
Early Management / Development Management
The aim of the development management / or early management is process for establish system for reducing the time for new product or equipment development start up time, commissioning time, and stabilization time with highly expected quality product setup. You can verify the management system by:
- In the development management, you have collect the information from the customers regarding existing product, and utilization and analyze all the feedback before establishment of new design.
- Analysis of your existing product, and measuring for your existing processes are match as easy of manufacturing.
- At the phase of product design & production planning for new product, you have measure the existing system is really easy of manufacturing or not by identifying possibilities of failures, to reviews of design of new product, trail manufacturing & first trial type tests.
In this pillar, you can manage the processes through two types of system, first is early equipment management and early product management, both approaches are working on same principles, but the design and planning are works separately. Hence the early equipment management focus on loss & defect free processes, hence the early product management concentrate on development lead times, simultaneous activities by team management for minimum quality loss.
Training and Education
The purpose of this pillar is to establishment of education & training for equipment operators and maintenance personnel for technical, and system that drive total productive maintenance activities. Probably, total productive maintenance system is a continuous learning process hence all the related personnel must activity participate and learn through complete associated tasks. In the pillar of Education and training, there are two major components:
- Technical Training: In the technical skill training, every employee related to equipment mostly operators and maintenance personnel must be trained for the regular maintenance procedures, troubleshooting of equipment and problem solving skill on specific issues.
- Soft Skill Training: Diversity training & communication skills, how to work as team are major requirements for total productive maintenance system.
In short, in the education and training section organization expecting the personnel who concern with their tasks must perform as expert, and develop itself as multiskilling, as well come to work and will perform all required functions effectively & independently by proper training.
Benefit of this pillar is to enhance skills & performance of all personnel for regular equipment operations and maintenance activities, and essential for the successful implementation of total productive maintenance system.
Safety, Health and Environment
From the planning to sustain of total productive maintenance activities, safety & prevention of adverse environmental impacts should be on priorities. And should make the aim to be establish system to target zero accident, zero health damage and zero fires incidents. This pillar is playing important role at every stage of the Total productive maintenance, and assuring that the total productive maintenance activities are not violate safety system's requirements.
The immediate benefits of implementation of this pillar is to prevention of accident and incidents, environmental system failures, and financial costs saving due to containment, investigation and compensation to organization. This can be enhancing sustainability in organization due to involvement of this pillar in total productive maintenance system.
The purpose of the pillar office TPM is to achieve zero function losses, establishment of efficient offices, and implementation of service support functions for manufacturing processes. Administrative and support team works in the total productive maintenance system as collection, processing and distribution of information for process analysis and flowing the required information at various stages of total productive maintenance system.
Actually, office TPM is not last pillar of the total productive maintenance, but it works Symantecally with other pillars, it is actively participated from the team establishment to finalization of the improvement of each pillars, because it is administrative functions and manage support on all stages together. Office TPM addressing and playing supporting role for some major losses such as:
- Elimination of processing losses, cost losses including marketing, accounting and sales related, communication losses, setup losses, accuracy losses etc.
- Managing the TPM by effective actions to eliminate office equipment breakdowns, communication equipment and office equipment.
- Reduction of time spent on retrieval of information through any media.
- Minimize communication and time by establishment of ideal system for correct information status on any time availability.
- Reducing customer complaints due to transportation and logistics issues.
By effective administrative systems across the organization and interested parties, it is possible to elimination of losses, and this is the part of office TPM. office TPM best measurable benefits are inventory reduction, lead time reduction of critical processes, retrieval time reduction, maximum utilization of resources, and reduction in administrative costs. This is not just cost reduction step but also supporting in development functions, improvement in customer satisfactions and deployment of flexible system in organization.
Total productive maintenance is easy process, if you keep long term commitments and follow all the total productive maintenance standard requirements such as 5S, autonomous and preventive maintenance, training, kaizen and teamwork. Most organization starts their works with TPM to aims zero breakdown, MTBF and MTRR, Prevention of equipment etc.., but some direct positive impact you can also measure such as:
- Productivity: To reduce Breakdowns / OEE increase / for MTBF increase
- Quality: To Reduce Scrap at machine / to reduce cost of quality control / to reduce customer complaints
- Costs: To reduce production cost
- Delivery: To decrease Capital bound in finished goods / To increase fulfillment delivery time
- Safety: To reduce personal injuries / Zero Accident
Some more benefits that are measurable such as increase technical skills and expertise of operators and maintenance personnel, maximize the actual productive utilization through involve everyone in this program, improvement reliability and maintainability of each equipment as raise quality and productivity, maximize economy in equipment & increase life of the equipment.
First Published On Date: Monday, November 13, 2017 09:30 AM